W.H. Pierce & Sons Wood Sign
Wakeman, Ohio (Huron County)
Mr. William H. Pierce had a long history as a mercantile. Sometime after returning home in 1865, he became a member in a partnership named Harris, Pierce & Baldwin dealing in general merchandise and farm implements. After selling his interest to his partners in 1880, he purchased a farm and became engaged in agricultural pursuits. After about six years, he returned to Wakeman with interest in becoming a mercantile once again. This time conducting his business as W.H. Pierce & Sons. He carried a fine line of groceries, shoes/boots, school supplies and other merchandise. His specialty was handling and shipping eggs, and was connected with the most extensive egg dealers.